This flavorful wrap uses delicious wild rice and black beans as a base. Wild rice contains twice as much protein as brown rice and is rich in antioxidants. Both wild rice and black beans contain vital minerals and nutrients that are essential for overall good health, are low in fat and high in fiber. When I want to eat healthier, I make choices like grilling instead of frying, incorporating fresh fruits and vegetables, and using spices to add as much flavor as possible without adding fat.
Jerk Shrimp with Caribbean Wild Rice Lettuce Wraps
3 hours 20 minutes
2 hours 30 minutes
327 per serving
- 1 pound raw, peeled, deveined medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons dry jerk seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinced and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh mango, peeled, diced
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced finely
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, divided
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 cup plain fat-free greek yogurt
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 leaves of bib lettuce
For the Jerk Shrimp
Place the shrimp in a large bowl. Add olive oil and jerk seasoning and toss to coat. Cover and allow to marinade for 10 minutes in refrigerator. Heat grill over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, spray with non stick cooking spray and cook the shrimp 1-2 minutes per side until cooked through. Set aside.
For the Caribbean Wild Rice
Combine wild rice, with tomatoes, black beans, diced mango, red onions, jalapenos, 1/4 cup cilantro and 2 tablespoons lime juice in a large bowl. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the Avocado Cilantro Lime Yogurt Sauce
Place Greek Yogurt, avocado, 1/4 cup cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and hot sauce in food processor and pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Arrange leaves of lettuce on plate, spoon the Caribbean Wild rice onto the lettuce and top with grilled Jerk Shrimp. Serve with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce on the side. Enjoy!