Tender peas, carrots and leek with excellent flavor that is complemented by a smoked turkey leg.
Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup
1285 per serving
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 pound green split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 large leek, white and light green part only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Crusty multigrain bread, for serving (optional)
Prep and Cook
Tie the parsley stems and thyme together with kitchen string and place in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the split peas, leek, celery, carrots, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; stir to combine. Add the turkey leg and 7 cups water. Cover and cook on low until the split peas and meat are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
Prepare to Serve
Discard the herb bundle. Discard the skin and bones from the turkey leg and shred the meat. Vigorously stir the soup to break up the peas and make the soup smoother. Thin with water, if desired. Stir in the chopped parsley and about three-quarters of the turkey meat; season with salt and pepper.
Serve and Garnish
Ladle the soup into bowls. Thin the yogurt with a little water, then spoon onto the soup. Top with the thawed peas and the remaining turkey. Serve with bread, if desired.