My Spanish-Style Loaded Potato/Chorizo Mini Pies were inspired by my favorite Brazilian appetizer. Growing up in Brazil, every celebration included empadinhas, mini savory pies. This recipe, featuring Idaho potatoes, is all about the holiday spirit with an explosion of great flavors.
Spanish-Style Loaded Potato & Chorizo Mini Pies
530 per serving
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 3 tablespoons pure olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups Idaho potatoes, peeled & finely diced
- 1 cup onions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, finely diced
- 6 ounces ground chorizo sausage
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup manchego cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 prepared 9-inch pie crusts, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sour cream
In a large skillet, brown diced potatoes in 2 Tbsp olive oil and butter till fork tender (5-8 minutes); with a slotted spoon, transfer to a heat proof bowl; add remaining olive oil, onions and peppers to skillet and saut till softened and slightly browned (2-3 minutes); transfer with a slotted spoon to potato bowl; add chorizo to skillet and cook till browned (3-5 minutes); combine browned chorizo, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, manchego cheese, 1/3 cup green onions, salt, paprika and pepper to potatoes and mix till well combined; cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 24 mini muffin pan with cooking spray; set aside.
Unroll pie crust over a floured surface; cut rounds with 3-inch cookie cutter (Use fancy scallop cookie cutter for extra flair.) Press dough rounds into greased muffin molds.
Generously fill prepared pie molds with potato/chorizo mixture; bake for 15-20 minutes or till pie crust is slightly golden on the sides.
Garnish with sour cream, remaining cheddar cheese and green onions. Serve hot or at room temperature. Enjoy!